Sunday, August 30, 2009

Glorious Rust Bucket of a Tub

I've spent a few years now struggling with the idea of 'what's next' for me. I'm like a roulette wheel and it just depends on where the arrow falls...that's what I'm gonna be. Baker, teacher, doula, writer, hockey player, professional slacker, Volunteer Mother of the Year. Can you hear the click click click of the wheel, as it slows...it's getting slower and slower and slower and it finally comes to a stop?


Holy Moly Guacamole! Fiber Artist. Can you believe it? I'm a fiber artist. And I've burnt the shit out of my hydrangea bushes. But that's okay, because I'm a fiber artist! And my kettle is black! And I have smoke in my hair and dye under my finger nails. And has anyone ever smelled how disgusting a vat of roasted goldenrod smells like? It stings your nostrils. I've been smelling it in my sleep...along with wet hot wool. It's incredible!



And this glorious rust bucket of a tub. It was FREE! From one of Paul Bunyan's co-workers. We just had to go and pick it up and clean out the small trees growing in it and wash the green scum off of it...but isn't it wonderful? I mean, isn't it beautiful? I've never known such a happiness as I do now. Really.



Because now, now, I can wash half a blanket of fiber (that's like half of an alpaca) at one time! I know this looks worse than it is, and many of you might think that it really is as worse as it seems, but I, if only I could have, would have jumped into the tub too. It was delightful! To see all that dirty water, and to play in it, and pull pieces of hay, and alpaca poop, out with my fingers.



And then this...in the end. To see that I might actually be good at it. I mean, I know I have a lot to learn. BUT I got yellow. See? I got yellow from a weed. And you know what I'm going to do with some of this yellow? I'm going to add it to Indigo, which yes, I'm going to mix in my big black bucket and I'm going to have GREEN. Right? Blue and yellow make green? Right? This is elementary, my friends. Which is why I might be good at it! Life is grand. And you'll never guess what I have steeping on my stove right now? Any guesses? Okay, I'll tell you. I have PURPLE from red cabbages (local), which I simmered for an hour and a half. The house smelled delightful. Well, at least I thought so. The spawn wanted to sleep out on the lawn again, but I told them it was supposed to rain. And then I said, "you guys better get used to all these stinky potions...your momma's a fiber artist!" And they said, "what?" Yea, that's right...your momma's a fiber artist!

No comments:

Post a Comment