Sunday, January 9, 2011

In One Week.

The first week of 2011


Cons:

  • Older dog continues to take herself for walks. On Thursday she made it into town.
  • Younger dog may have a fatal autoimmune disease called TEN- Toxic Epidermal Necrolysis. A biopsy is scheduled for the 18th. It cost me $50 to determine she needs the biopsy. And that's just the beginning.
  • I got bit by a dog. Not one of my own.
  • I had such a horrible Healing Touch appointment because of the spa owner's 45 minute conversation she was having right outside my 'relaxing' room.
  • Paul Bunyan and I spent all day on Tuesday running errands.
  • I drove over 550 miles in 1 week.
  • I prepared and cut 32 Lego waffles.
  • I had one daughter so tired from a sleepover she was talking about killing herself.
  • Mini van was in the shop to have the muffler fixed because it sounded like Momma's Monster Mini Van. The kids thought it was cool.


Pros:

  • I still have two dogs who provide me with lots of love. At least one of them is happy to see me when I get home. And neither of them bite me.
  • I had such a horrible Healing Touch appointment because of the spa owner's 45 minute conversation she was having right outside my 'relaxing' room. BUT I finally stood up for myself, which I've never ever been good at, and I asked her to pay for my session and told her that I wouldn't be returning to her spa unless she could ensure that her 'rejuvenating' space would, in fact, be 'rejuvenating'. I was sweating when I left there. But felt proud of myself.
  • Paul Bunyan and I spent all day on Tuesday running errands. Any time alone with Paul Bunyan is quality time. He says we're spending every Tuesday from now until June in the woods. He's buying me a chainsaw (pro? or con?).
  • I might have prepared and cut 32 Lego waffles, but I made myself at least 12 fried eggs, now served on toast with cream cheese.
  • I had one daughter so tired from a sleepover she was talking about killing herself but now she is entering her 13th hour of sleep. I'm not going to wake her.
  • I had to get the mini van fixed because it sounded like Momma's Monster Mini Van. But the mechanic said it wasn't what he thought it was and that was good because what he thought it was would have cost us an arm and a leg.
  • I made French onion soup.
  • And the best local steak we've ever tasted.
  • I made the best homemade pizza I've ever made.
  • I made the best wild rice soup I've ever made.
  • I made the best brownies I've ever made.
  • Some of our great friends invited themselves over to skate under the lights AND they brought supper.
  • We got one cast off!
  • I wrote one essay to be submitted to a competition. I am starting small.
  • I scored a few goals.
  • It's snowing.
  • On the first day of the year I made spaghetti and meatballs and I got to hear this in my own living room:





I won't subject you to the whole song. Well, I can't because my ancient video camera won't let me upload more than a minute of video. But it's the song Claire wrote with her buddy Isaac. All the words themselves. My friend Jen helped them with it. And I love it. It makes me happy.



When I was debating between attending Michigan and Iowa for college my father recommended I make a pro and con list. It helped me make that life changing decision a little easier. I sometimes use the technique today. I know is seems a bit silly for me to look back on the first week of 2011 to determine how the rest of the year is going to go based on the outcome of my pro/con list. And I know it seems a bit silly for me to assume that I might actually think that I get to choose if 2011 will be a good year for me. Although some would say that I can control that. We all sort of play limbo with destiny and self motivation.

I think I'm hoping that it'll seem like I have some kind of control of the outcome of this year if I make a weekly list of the pros and cons and I start seeing that my pro list is always longer than my con list. And more importantly, that some of the con items could actually be viewed as pro items, especially if you put them in the right light. 2011 will be exceptional. Especially if I continue to get healthier. Especially if I continue to eat good food. And especially if my friends continue to show up uninvited with good food to feed me. So, I'm expecting you this Friday. Even though I don't really know who you are. The lights over the pond will be lit. But you'll need to bring a shovel. Because it's snowing out. And I like chili. A lot.

1 comment:

  1. may you always be able to turn your cons upside down to find the pros..... someone in my household wisely always says (upon a con occurring at the moment): 'well, this will make a good story...maybe not today, but tomorrow'. and thank goodness there are good story tellers in this world. and thank goodness that some also tell it thru music.

    ReplyDelete