Tuesday, March 31, 2009

In Like a Lion, Out Like a Lamb?

Despite getting a Celestron 25 mm wide angle telescope for a wedding gift from Paul Bunyan's good college friends, I am not much of a stargazer. It is a sad fact (sorry Timmy Jimmy Fender Hender) that the thing sits gravely alone in the closet of the loft in the house Paul Bunyan and I got married in almost 11 years ago, all the way up on the border of Canada, in the god-forsaken town of International Falls, Minnesota. How's that for a run-on? It is a sad fact, however, because now that I have children and want to give them nothing else but the stars, I could use the thing around here every now and again. But I think we lost the manual.

Anyway, where was I going? Oh, right. I read somewhere once that the saying "In like a lion and out like a lamb," came from astrological origins. And that it's not necessarily that March's weather is crappy in the beginning and more beautiful at the end, but rather has something more to do with the constellations Leo, the lion, and Aries, the ram (or lamb) and their respective positioning in the sky at the beginning and end of this month. Now, being 'in our neck of the woods' (I'm going to try and say that in every post!) you can never count on the Lion showing its nasty teeth in the beginning or the Lamb, with all its gentle softness, at the end of March, so I think the constellation theory is more applicable to us. If I can find Leo and Aries in the sky tonight, I'll let you know their relative positions. However, I'm not sure I'll be able to see the stars tonight, because the Lion roared its loud ferocious (teeth baring) very, very scary roar at us this morning. It almost made Paul Bunyan want to stay in bed. That is, until I called him old.







No comments:

Post a Comment