Sunday, November 14, 2010

Sunday Soundbite

We don't see much of Hunter. Yes, we have a cat. I'm not much of a cat person. But I'm more of a dead mouse kind of person, so thus...we have a cat. We had two. One didn't survive the predatory labyrinth in our woods.

He sleeps on the top bunk with Timmy. He plays outside all day. He comes and goes as he pleases. Sometimes he looks for love. And then he drools. So we swoosh him away.

Lately, I've been hearing him make these guttural noises in the middle of the night or early in the morning. One time I forgot he was a male and I thought he was in heat. On another night I thought there was another cat in the house. The idea wasn't too far fetched considering we had a skunk visit us a couple of weeks ago. On one particularly early morning, I thought maybe he was growling at his reflection in the window. I couldn't figure out what was provoking him until I saw our neighbor's cat Web come around the other day. He's also a male cat. And then I put two and two together. The ghastly noises coming from Hunter are a threatening war cry to defend his turf. We saw Web again last night, through the window. And Claire and I were the lucky audience members, recipients of his free concert:




Claire couldn't control her giggles in the background. We're not so sure Hunter would win a cat fight if he got into one. However, he sure does sound tough. And I guess that's half the battle.

2 comments:

  1. As I was listening to the audio, Spin just yelled from the other room "there's a cat in the basement"....."more like a Tazmanian devil!!" was my reply. Hunter's better than a dog for protection. If I heard that in the dark at night, I'd be RUNNING!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ah - the mystery is solved. wonder what Hunter would have to say in this situation: http://www.popherald.com/cat-gator-youtube/2413

    ReplyDelete