Sunday, May 13, 2012

Dear Mom,


Dear Mom, I realize that sending you a Mother's Day card is a fairly simple thing to do.  But it's always the simple things that I have the hardest time with.  So, I'm sorry I missed another year.  It does not mean that I love you any less.  Or that I'm not grateful for all that you do.



And I don't think I've ever realized all that you have done for me until I became a mother too.  There is no way to truly understand the sacrifices a mother makes until you turn into one.

 

So, there was no way for me to realize that I needed to thank you for washing my clothes, making my bed, cleaning up my puke, making dinner every night (even if it was Minute steaks or microwaved mac n' cheese), washing the dishes, packing my lunches, or running the shower for me in the mornings so I could get out of my very warm bed while it was still dark out to go to high school- until I had to do it for my spawn.



You were so sweet to make me my favorite fondue for my birthdays.


And you were always, always there- whether it was IN my dance recitals,


or as a soccer coach, which is still incredibly (incredibly) impressive now that I know how NOT athletic you are.


You sewed brides maid dresses for me.



And came to all of my games, even if it meant driving all the way across the country- to Iowa and back.

So, now, every time I pick up one of my kid's socks on the floor, or put their shoes to the side instead of in the middle of the mud room, or pack a snack, or help them with homework, or wipe down the friggin' dinner table- I think of how many times you must have done this for us.  Every time I drive the boys to soccer or Claire to dance, or go on a field trip, or sacrifice a little bit of my time for them, I realize YOU did this for me.  So, in a sense, I'm paying it forward.  And when I'm done paying it forward and I've sent them on their way into the world, I hope on a future Mother's Day I'll be able to sit in a Lafuma chair and read a friggin' book and maybe take a nap and possibly NOT do any laundry, or dishes, or make dinner for that matter like you did today.  You deserve this!  Happy Mom's Day Mom- I am grateful for all you did and I'm amazed you never once complained about it.  Because, yea, that's something I still have to work on.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for your thoughtful and loving blog about me. I would not have done it differently and I'd still do anything for you. It was all done with love, not (hopefully) in the name of sacrifice because that implies giving too much of yourself.

    I'll always love you whether you send a Hallmark-promoted card or not - mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. very sweet - both the blog and the comment. yeah, this beats an old fashioned card any day.

    ReplyDelete